Search International and National Patent Collections

1. (WO2001003518) OVEN-BAKED FRENCH FRIES COMPRISING 2,4-DECADIENAL AND/OR METHIONAL

Pub. No.:    WO/2001/003518    International Application No.:    PCT/US1999/015554
Publication Date: Fri Jan 19 00:59:59 CET 2001 International Filing Date: Sat Jul 10 01:59:59 CEST 1999
IPC: A23L 1/217
A23L 1/226
Applicants: THE PROCTER & GAMBLE COMPANY
Inventors: KESTER, Jeffrey, John
SEVENANTS, Michael, Robert
Title: OVEN-BAKED FRENCH FRIES COMPRISING 2,4-DECADIENAL AND/OR METHIONAL
Abstract:
The present invention relates to French fried potatoes produced from an oven that approximate the attributes and characteristics of French fries that have been finished by deep fat frying. The oven-finished French fries of the present invention can be differentiated from commercial and prior-art oven fries in that they possess a combination of attributes, in particular, bulk moisture, total fat, internal moisture, surface water activity and a Texture Value, that renders them virtually indistinguishable from deep fried French fries. Furthermore, the oven-finished French fries of the present invention are characterized by the level of selected positive flavor components (2,4-decadienal and methional). The oven-finished French fries comprises from about 32% to about 50 % bulk moisture, from about 8% to about 25% total fat, from about 55% to about 80% internal moisture content, a surface water activity of less than or equal to about 0.55, and a Texture Value (maximum force [grams] or area under the force deformation curve [gram sec] within the first one-third of a specific compression test) of at least about 200. The oven-finished fries further comprise at least about 0.5 ppm 2,4-decadienal and at least about 0.2 ppm methional.